Dear Rica, Should I purchase earthquake insurance?

Posted on February 2, 2017 in News

Get Answers about Owning, Renting and Living in Greater Kobe. Please submit your comments to

Dear Rica,

We want to buy a house in or near Kobe. But after all the devastation we have seen on TV after the Kumamoto earthquake last year, we realized we needed to learn a lot more about earthquake insurance in Japan. We do not even know if it exists or not or how much it costs.

Mary B.

Dear Mary,

That is definitely a good question! In Japan, earthquake insurance is generally an optional insurance to fire insurance. This means that you need to get fire insurance first. This is true for homeowners and renters. There are a number of insurers who provide insurance coverage for earthquake-related damage in Japan. The premiums and maximum coverage will vary depending on your insurance company, how earthquake-resistant building is, and other factors.

We are happy to work with to find the right insurance product for you and your property.

Please let us know how we can help you.

Rica B.

We are happy to walk you through the process of getting the right insurance for you and your property, including introducing you to an English-speaking insurance agent.